The Specifications Development, Quality Control and Certification department is staffed by a Chief Technical Officer and four Technical Officers who are responsible for the development of standards in areas of economic, social and sustainable development interest to Barbados. The department has developed over 200 standards in the areas of:
- Consumer Products
- Solar Energy.
The Department is responsible for:
- Preparing and developing national, regional and international standards for products and services;
- Adopting and facilitating the implemention of national, regional and international standards;
- Collecting and distributing information on standardization and its related activities to Government, Industry and the public;
- Promoting the use of quality assurance in industry and commerce;
- Assisting in the establishment of new industries to Barbados;
- Certifying products, commodities and processes that conform to national standards;
- Promoting the use of standardization activities as an economic tool; and
- Generally dealing with any standards related matters.